Articles in English grammar are pillars of grammar. Articles are used before nouns or noun equivalents and are a type of adjective. Let’s learn about Articles in English grammar.
Articles in English grammar
In English, articles and their knowledge are both crucial words. Only nouns are preceded by articles to restrict or define their (Noun) usage within the sentence’s context. They give the nouns greater potency and precision. Articles in English grammar are used as demonstrative adjectives and determiners before nouns.
There are two types or kinds of articles.
- Indefinite Articles
- Definite Articles
Due to the lack of specificity in their references to people, places, or things, “A” and “An” are considered indefinite articles.
- This is a piece of paper
- This is an Apple
When referring to a specific or definite person, place, or thing, the definite article “the” is used before the noun. As a result, “the” is known as the definite article.
- Raju is the Captain of the Hockey team.
- He is the brightest student in our class.
- What is a noun? – definition, types, and examples
- Conjunction – definition, examples, types, and rules
- Sentences – definition, meaning, and types
- Adverbs – definition, types, and examples
- Pronoun-definition-types and examples
Rules of Articles in English Grammar
The use of indefinite Articles in English grammar ‘A’, ‘An’
RULE 1: A student must note that the choice between ‘A’ and ‘An’ is determined primarily by the Sound
- ‘A’ is used before a word begins.
- With consonants, For example,
- a boy, a child, a student. a book.
- With a vowel giving the sound of a consonant. For example
- a one-eyed man, a university student, a European, a unique book, a universal problem, a uniform, a universal problem
(B)’ An‘ is used before a word begins.
- With a vowel. For example an elephant, an apple, an ass, an umbrella
- With a mute ‘h’. For example an hour, an heir, an honest man, an hourly visit.
- With a consonant pronounced with the sound of a vowel. For example an M.P, an S.P, an F.I.R
RULE 2: Indefinite article in English grammar ‘A’ / ‘ An’ is used when we talk of a thing or a person that is indefinite or that is mentioned for the first time(in the sense of one). Indefinite articles in English grammar is also used to express a class(in the sense of any).
- Before a singular/countable common when it is mentioned for the first time represents no particular person or a thing.
1) I need a book
2) Twelve inches make a foot.
3) A beggar came to my door.
4) Please get me a scooter.
5) She gave her a notebook.
- Before a singular countable noun is used to a single person as a representative of a class of things, animals any persons.
1) A cow is a useful animal.
2) A beggar cannot be a chooser.
3) A rose is a beautiful flower.
4) A son should be obedient.
- To make a common noun of a proper noun to express quality.
1) A Shylock is living in my neighborhood.
2) He is a Vikramaditya known for his fairness.
- Articles in English grammar have more rules based on certain expressions of quality with certain numbers and expressions of ‘Price/Rate, speed, ratio’.
1) Rupees ten a kilo.
2) A dozen mangoes.
3) Half a dozen.
- When the article in English grammar(A, An) represents a weakened form of a preposition in.
1) He earns fifty thousand rupees a year.
2) We should brush our teeth two times a day.
- In exclamations with what or how before singular countable nouns.
1) What a hot day!
2) What a pretty girl!
3) What a naughty child!
4) How fine a day!
5) What a fool he is!
- Note the position of the indefinite article in English grammar, in the following adverb: Rather, very, much, quite, so, too, such, as.
1) It is rather a nuisance.
2) It is rather a good step( or a rather good step).
3) He is a very good person.
4) He is a much-hated character.
5) It is quite an interesting story.
6) She is as intelligent a student as her brother is.
7) She is too weak a student to pass.
- What is an Adjective – definition, meaning, types, and examples
- Verbs – Definition, meaning, and 5 types
- Clauses – definition & meaning | types with 10 best examples
The use of Definite Article in English grammar ‘The’
- When we talk of a particular person or a thing as already mentioned, known, or under discussion.
1) The book is not available on the market.
2) Let us study the lesson carefully.
Stay tuned with Laws Of Nature for more useful grammar articles.